Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My Best Friend

I had so many things I wanted to write about this week that it was hard for me to decide. I get tired or ranting that's for sure. So some things went out the window when I decided that. I hope it doesn't sound like ranting on your side because it sure does on mine. Then there were a few other ideas. I finally just let it go for a second and looked up at the tv and pet my dog. That's when it hit me! I want to write about my fuzzy four legged best friend. You can't really rant about your best friend!

So as you imagine I have a dog. Her name is Trixie. She also has a middle name but I don't use it that much anymore, only when she's in trouble. There will be more about that later. Trixie is part jack russell terrier and part chihuahua. You're probably thinking "Oh my, you poor soul. That dog has to be the most rambunctious, ankle biting dog on earth, and probably has an annoying yippity bark." Most people think that when I tell them about her. However, she's not. She'll be 8 years old this September and has mostly been a good dog.

This post might be a little long, as I could talk about her for days. I'm not kidding, she's really my best friend. Our story starts back 8 years ago. My boyfriend's dog was living with us and was going to have puppies. I was so excited! She had two little puppies, a boy and a girl. I really wanted the boy, but for some reason ended up with the girl. She was awesome! I could fit her in my hoodie pocket, she slept with me every night, and I took her with me everywhere. So, as you can tell, she's spoiled.

Even though I love her to death, she's the dumbest dog I've ever met in my life. I've always had dumb dogs but she takes the cake. I don't know if it's an act or if she really has no brains, but sometimes I feel bad for her. Once when she was a puppy, she ran off - like dogs tend to do. So I go on the hunt. I find her up the road in the apartment complexes. She was standing on the balcony of one with her little head peeking through the gaurd rails. I called her down, nothing. I said let's go home, she wouldn't budge. This dog looked around for a way to get down and couldn't do it. That's how dumb she is. She couldn't realize to walk down the stair just like she had walked up them. And that's only one story.

Even though she's dumb, she has a heart of gold. Well, kinda. She loves me more than I could ask for. If I'm home she's probably where ever I am, laying right next to me under the blankets. If I'm upset, she's in my face trying to make me feel better. If I'm mad, she calms me down by sitting with me and just letting me pet her. She really is my best friend. However, this heart of gold isn't always so gold. She loves to piss me off. I'm not kidding, she's like a child. If I do something that makes her mad, she retaliates. Most dogs live to please and make people happy. This isn't really the case with her. If I leave for too long, I can guarantee something will be destroyed. Trash, a room, a shoe, pillow, it doesn't matter. She lets me know I hurt her feelings. In her life she has chewed up many shoes, a bottle of fish food, some birth control pills, baby binkies, books, and that's just the odd stuff.

I also have a dog that thinks she's a cat. Trixie lays around all day, like a cat. She used to be hyper active, ADHD dog, but not anymore. Most of the time, she's laying somewhere sleeping. Pretty sure that's all she does, just like a cat. She sits in the windows sills, like a cat. The back of furniture, little spaces, there all where she'll sleep. Just like....a cat.

I am pretty attached to this dog. I talk about her like a child, I know. She was my child, until I had my child. I have all the same love for her, as I do my daughter. Ok, maybe not as much as I do my daughter, but you know what I mean. She's been with me through good times and horrible times. I can tell her anything. She doesn't judge me. Maybe, if people could learn to love and live like dogs, the world wouldn't be such a cruel place. At least I have somebody to love me when the rest of the world is being cruel. We can learn so much from man's best friend. Maybe, one day, we'll actually act on what we learn from them.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I have a four legged best friend too!! He is a miniature weiner dog named Gizmo. He sleeps with me, follows me all over the house, has to be on, and I literally mean on, the computer when I am trying to type, etc. But he is awesome! He never chews anything up, he doesn't make messes in the house, he is great. He does bark a lot when the doorbell rings and he can be whiny but I wouldn't trade him for anything. I am glad you also have such a good doggie friend!