Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Being Chloe

I was reading Steph's blog yesterday and found out that there is a link up going on about names. Now that's new and original. So of course I have to play along.

Chloe...I like my name. I think it fits me perfectly. My name used to be unique and in school I was the only Chloe for like all 13 years. Even in my college classes there weren't other people named Chloe. So ha! However, today it's all the effing rage. And that rages me. You can walk in to any 2nd grade class and I'll bet that you have one or two Chloes. But it was my name first so I win.

My mom named me Chloe because she told my grandma that she wanted to name me Zoe and my gma said no. So as a joke she said how about Chloe. They loved it and that was that. My dad wanted to name me Jennifer. I'm glad he didn't get to choose that. Sorry to any Jennifers out there. No offense, but it's just not me.

If you go to Urban Dictionary and look up Chloe, the third entry is totally me. Chloe means all sorts of different stuff depending on what site your looking up. But the most common I've seen is that it has something to do with green foliage or shoot of plants. I hate plants.

Nicknames haven't always been the best though. There's always those mean people in school who have to change everybody's name to something gross or mean. Unfortunately I got stuck with hoey or blowy. True story. My mom and I were talking and she was like I liked it because I couldn't find any mean words that rhyme with it. She didn't try very hard. However, now that I'm out of school people don't call me that anymore. Most people call me clover. My dad sometimes calls me Cloveee. A guy I work with calls me Chloe Kardashian and I love it. No shame. A couple people have called me cholo. You know...like a hispanic gangster. I have a song about me. =)

 And let's talk about the mispronunciations. Dear god  I wonder if people can't read or sound out words sometimes. Here's a nice little list of everything people could possibly mispronounce.
- ch-low-e (ch sound)
- co-lee
- shilo (da fuq right)
- shlow
- cleo (i hate this one the most)
- clow



When I was a kid I was always pissed about my name because you couldn't ever find something with Chloe on it. Now I love it and I wouldn't have it any other way. And I share the same name with the coolest Kardashian. Winning. I love Kloe even though her mom fucked up how to spell it. Good job Kris.

Stories about your name? Link up!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your name, I don't think I've ever met someone named Chloe! Unique names are the best.

Stephanie said...

Haha Shilo?! Have they never met a Chloe before? I think you're my only Chloe. I knew one in grade school or high school I forget which, very briefly. But my friend's dog's name is Chloe, does that count? I call her Chlo Chlo.

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I can't believe people mispronounce your name, that's crazy! I know a few little kids named Chloe now too, so yup it's definitely popular with the younger crowd haha! Thanks for linking up :-)

Erin said...

I have always loved the name chloe!! I don't know why but it always reminds me of flowers

Miranda said...

I love your sense of humor! Sometimes I think people search for ways to mispronounce names! Ha ha.

So glad you linked up!

Jordan said...

HAHA CLEO. I'm going to start calling you that now! How the fuck do people pronounce your name wrong?

leelee said...

I only know one little Chloe. However, it shouldn't be that hard to pronounce.

Brandy said...

Shilo?! hahaha!

Gina's Agenda said...

I love the name Chloe! I had a friend in middle school named Chloe and the teachers would call her Shilo too. lol